An error ("Unrecognized file format") displays when attempting to open a return that was created in a prior version of ProFile:
1. Open ProFile.
2. Select the Check for Updates option from the Online drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
3. Follow the prompts to update ProFile to the latest version.
4. Open the return again.
Run "proreg" if updating ProFile to the latest version is not successful in reopening the return without an error.
1. Exit ProFile.
2. Right-click on the ProFile desktop icon and select the "Open file location" option.
The Windows Explorer opens.
3. Navigate to the folder C:/Program Files(x86)/ProFile.
4. Locate the file proreg.exe in the folder.
5. Right-click on the proreg.exe file and select the Run as administrator option.
The ProFile Module Registration window displays:
6. Click on the "Clear all" button; the "X" in the boxes clear.
7. When prompted, allow the UAC.
8. Click the "Register all" button; the "X" in the boxes repopulates.
9. Uncheck the "GPShell.dll" box.
10. Close the "ProFile Module Registration" window.
11. Open the return again.
Note: If a window displays prompting a user to open a T2 file in the latest module, answer Yes only if the return has not yet completed and filed with CRA. Otherwise, answer No to avoid recalculation of the return in the new module.