Returns can move from an older to a newer computer or from an older operating system to a newer one via multiple methods. This article details the process when using a hardware media device.
If you're unsure of which transfer method to use, consult your technical support resource.
Via USB or other media device
1. Insert or attach the USB stick, portable hard drive, or other media device into the older computer.
2. Locate the My ProFile Data directory through Windows Explorer. This folders contains your tax returns and ProFile settings.
Note: By default, the directory is located in your documents folder. If you have customized the location, please review this location in ProFile (Options > Environment > File tab > File Directories) to find the location of your files.
3. Copy the My ProFile Data directory from the older computer to the USB stick or media device.
4. Insert the USB stick or media device into the newer computer.
5. Copy the My ProFile Data folder from the USB stick or media device to a new file directory. The default directory path on a Windows 10 and Windows 8 computer is C: Users[USER NAME] > My Documents > My ProFile Data
6. Answer Yes to all if prompted to overwrite any existing material in the file directory if what you are copying over is the latest and most up-to-date.
All existing settings also transfer.