ProFile users can set options that include, but are not limited to, directory settings, preparer information, auditor messages, and more.
Setting Environment Options
ProFile users can set options for their ProFile working environment. This includes PDF settings, form settings, reminders, security, and more.
1. Select Environment from the Options drop-down menu in ProFile.
2. Navigate through the presented tabs.
- The Edit tab includes options for common tasks, such as allowing predictive typing, date stamping, SIN validation, and capitalization.
- The Display tab includes options for the display of ProFile, including font scaling, tab icons, and page breaks.
- The File tab includes options for setting file directories, managing recently used files, and auto-saving files.
- The Preparer tab allows preparers to insert their personal and firm information, including RepID, Group ID, and initials.
- The Discounter tab allows a discounter to insert their personal and firm information, including Discounter Registration Number.
- The Trustee tab allows trustees to insert their personal and firm information.
- The Audit tab allows preparers set audit and/or error styles, as well as establish standards to prevent a return from being prematurely filed.
- The System tab includes options for setting shared folders, checking for software updates, and utilizing online features.
- The PDF tab allows preparers specify PDF characteristics for printed returns, PDF archive directories, and PDF security.
Setting File Paths
ProFile users can set where their client’s returns are stored. The file path can be changed or locked to prevent deletion or copying.
Managing file paths
1. Select the Environment from the Options drop-down menu in the toolbar.
2. Select File in the Environment Options window. Files paths display under the File Directories section of the window.
Files in the file path display in the corresponding directory in Explorer.
3. Select the Lock checkbox to lock the file path; the lock feature will default back to this file directory, but can be changed even when locked.
Changing the file path
1. Click on the file directory to change.
2. Select show path. The Browse window explorer displays.
3. Select a new location from the Browse window, and select OK.
Using Module Options
ProFile users can set options for each tax module for which they are preparing returns.
1. Select Module from the Options drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
2. Each module tab includes an active down arrow; select the arrow to display the available tax years for the module display.
Many options can be set and modified using tabs under the Module Options menu.
- The General tab includes options for carry-forward, individual forms, access, and more.
- The Data Locking tab allows preparers to set the criteria for locking a file. For instance, if the file carries forward or is transmitted.
- The Variance tab allows the setting of the Minimum Variance, using the criteria of Dollar and/or Percentage.
- The Disclaimer tab includes the option to include a standard disclaimer on all prepared forms.
- The T1/TP1 Review tab allows the setting of the Variance Thresholds, using the criteria of Dollar and/or Percentage.